Twas the Night Before Christmas...

'Twas the night before Christmas...
and they were praying for YOU.
My Christmas Eve is just coming to a close. It's been one busy day trying to balance time between the shelter and family, but it has been a fantastic day full of tradition, joy, and reflection.

At the shelter this evening we attended a candlelight Christmas Eve service. I had never been to one at this church before. For those of you that don't know I recently transferred to another shelter location (still with The Sheepfold but now a different city). I have been adjusting to all the changes and now feel settled into this new home. The service was beautiful and rich with meaning as we reflected on the significance of the best gift we could ever receive, Jesus. It is especially intriguing for our moms to think of God choosing to enter the world as a baby...who had a mother who changed His diapers, watched Him learn to walk, talk, and introduced Him to the world that He created.


After church we came home to a late dinner of tamales. The kids were given new PJ's and then we gathered in the living room to read the story of Jesus' birth and let the little ones help set up a kid-friendly nativity. After the story I let them open their stockings which they enthusiastically did in 2 minutes flat! Then it was off to bed for all the kids while the moms had a beautiful candlelit Bible study.

During Bible study the women were sharing prayer requests and do you know what they wanted to pray for? You. They wanted to thank God for all the people out there who have volunteered, donated, or worked for The Sheepfold to make the roof over their head possible. The room was heavy (in a good way) with the recognition that they are immensely loved by God...and also loved by the thousands of people that have taken it upon themselves to pray for, volunteer with, work for, and donate to this ministry. There were joyful tears and a heartfelt thank you.
A volunteer styling one of our residents' hair for Christmas pictures
The fantastic Kelly in our office, sorting some wonderful donations that just came in!

The women went to bed and after they went to sleep I started taking out the presents to put them under the tree. Turns out trying to fit a hundred presents under a Christmas tree is more of a challenge then I anticipated. When everyone wakes up in the morning they are going to be in for quite a surprise! They have no idea so many gifts were donated for them.

Lots of love right here!
Even though it's way past my bed time I don't feel ready to go to sleep. I'm too excited for Christmas to arrive. I have the anticipation at a level that is equivalent with what I felt as a young child. I'm imagining their faces and looking forward to celebrating with them and my fellow managers as a wonderful start to my day before celebrating Christmas with my own family.

I just wanted you to know that you have some women and children over here who come to us with heavy (and I mean HEAVY) burdens. But for right now they aren't thinking about that. They're thinking about you and praying you have a beautiful Christmas with your loved ones. They hope you know how much you are appreciated and loved. Most of all they want to say THANK YOU...and merry Christmas.

God bless us, everyone.


One of the little ones asked me to make her nails match mine for Christmas :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ebenezer, Part 2

Oysters

Desecration, Power Outages, and Throat Coat