To the Least of These

This blog is the beginning of my journey in Grace and Grit. Follow me as I begin this new chapter of my life!

For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.' Then the righteous will answer him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?' And the King will answer them, 'Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters you did it to me.'
- Matthew 25:31-40

It's finally here! I am officially a shelter house manager and tomorrow begins my first day of full-time service with The Sheepfold. The keys to the house are in my pocket, the weight of love for these women and their children is in my heart, and my shoulders bear a banner proclaiming where my Love comes from. What a privilege it is to be called to this ministry!

1 in 4 women are a victim of domestic violence. ONE IN FOUR! Think about that for a moment as I have. Look around you and think of all the women you know... think of your mother, sister, daughter, best friend, co-worker. Yeah now imagine one of them, or more likely several of them, abused and crushed with the weight of their secret.

Too often we let a statistic go in one ear and out the other without taking the time to really dwell on what it might mean if that statistic is true. Don't do that this time. Domestic Violence is here in America in epidemic proportions. It's infected the homes of the destitute and affluent, black and white, religious and atheist. 

What is the best way to fight this disease?

You.

Please learn about DV. Learn what it is, what you can do to prevent it, and what resources are available to those who find themselves a victim of it.*


* I highly recommend anyone interested in learning more about DV to read 
Stop Domestic Violence by Lou Brown, Francois Dubau, and Merritt McKeon

Comments

  1. So satisfying to see you in this place JJ! Looking forward to the continuation of the blog! Bless you and your work!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oysters

Ebenezer, Part 2

Desecration, Power Outages, and Throat Coat