Ebenezer, Part 1

Do you know what an Ebenezer is?

George C. Scott as Ebenezer Scrooge
Take note, I said what not who! Don't go Dickens on me just yet. According to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary the word Ebenezer means, "a commemoration of divine assistance." The word originates from the Biblical Samuel (1 Sam. 7:12) who erected a stone to remind the people of God's deliverance of the Israelites from the Philistines.

Samuel knew human nature well. We have a tendency to forget former miraculous moments when we come up against a problem that we see no solution to. We, or should I say I, have a natural inclination to take ownership of all my successes and blame God and others for things I see as failures. This is who I am and this tendency is exactly why I'm glad to have started this blog.

Somewhere between October and today this blog became my Ebenezer. It is a way of recognizing the working of The Divine in my life (and the lives around me) and provides a place for me to remember God's faithfulness in the midst of difficulties that seem insurmountable. God has proven to be faithful to me time and time again even when I am not. When I doubt, God is there. When I ignore truth, God is there. When I turn to everyone and everything in my life other than God to fix my problems, God is still there...and He is so much more patient than me! :-)

The holidays and the awesome craziness that goes with it has ended. Now I have some time to pause and share a couple personal moments with you that I've been holding back. No this is not going to become a rant or a confessional, I was just waiting until I had time to sit down and fully process before sharing...

Photo by wonderofcreation.org


(Part 2 Coming Soon)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oysters

Ebenezer, Part 2

Desecration, Power Outages, and Throat Coat